Monday 16 March 2009

My Timoney Tree


I felt a little like Cilla Black, saying, ‘Surprise, Surprise’ at the weekend.

It went like this; my Grandfather left Ireland in 1917 when he was seventeen. His brother stayed in Sligo. They only saw each other once after that, and have now passed away.

Anyways, I’ve been trying to track down my Grandfather’s brother’s family. And, after many, many years of research, I only went and found them! Am I clever or what?

So, at the weekend his brother’s daughter, now 82 years of age, met my Aunt, now 84. They are first cousins. So, as you can imagine, were absolutely thrilled to bits by it all! Wonderful! It’s left me with a shiny glow that has nothing to do with wine!

I have decided to write about the Timoney brother’s lives for my final assignment for my Open University course. They both led full and often hilarious lives, although in places bitter sweet. I can’t wait to write about it. Off to start it right this minute!

No comments: